Student Veterans

Students who have previously served or are currently serving in the U.S. Military.

Group of students laying in a circle

Tips for Advising

The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to eligible service members, veterans, and their dependents or survivors. Federal GI Bill® benefits can be used to pursue a University of Minnesota degree or, in some cases, transferred to an eligible spouse or children.  In order to support a smooth transition to campus life, University Veterans Services (UVS) assists student veterans, service members, and their dependents with Federal GI Bill® benefits and questions regarding other state and federal educational benefit programs. UVS also connects student veterans and service members with community and University resources. Veterans are a diverse population with a wide range of experiences and it is impossible to take a one-size-fits all approach to serving them. Despite the differences among individual veterans, some common themes have emerged.

  • Culture shock: Some veterans have spoken to a sense of alienation they feel upon starting college and may allude to feeling confused and overwhelmed during their first term because they aren’t sure where to turn for assistance. Advisors can support student veterans by guiding them to services on campus like career counseling, health services, the Disability Resource Center (DRC), student counseling services, and University Veterans Services.
  • Finding community and shared identity: Some veterans find it helpful to develop relationships and connections to other student veterans on campus. Advisors can refer students to the Student Veterans Association to help them build community.
  • Navigating language barriers: Student veterans may not be familiar with higher education terminology. As a result, while a veteran may be eligible for accommodations the terminology may be confusing and they may not seek assistance. Advisors can support students by clarifying language differences and connecting students to resources.

Referring Students

If you or students have questions about University Veterans Services, please direct them to:

University Veterans Services
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
320 Robert H. Bruininks Hall
222 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0239

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
Phone: 612-625-8076
Fax: 612-625-3002
Email: [email protected]