Students considering, applying to, or admitted to graduate school
Tips for Advising
Encourage students to take the following steps when considering applying for graduate school:
- Research programs
- Study for entrance exams
- Depending on their program of interest, students may be asked to take an entrance exam.
- Update resumé and write personal statement
- Ask for 3-4 letters of recommendation
- Recommend that they consider professors, employers, and other professionals they have had positive experiences with in the past.
- Contact potential references early to determine if they are willing to do this. Allow recommenders 4-6 weeks to complete a letter.