Come to this workshop to learn about the experiences of students experiencing housing and food instability along with methods and resources for effectively supporting them.
Training topics will include:
- Macro level overview of students with housing and food instability
- Experiences and stories of individual students on campus confronting these issues
- Panel covering community and campus resources for students
This session will be facilitated by a group of academic advisors who are focusing on homeless and food instability student issues.
Resources from the Workshop
For additional background information on homeless students and higher education:
- From Foster Care to Freshman Year, The Chronical on Higher Education (subscription required)
- The Number Of Hungry And Homeless Students Rises Along With College Costs, NPR
- Behind the Problem of Student Homelessness, NY Times
- On College Campuses, Homelessness Is A 'Hidden' Problem, Here and Now
- This Is What It's Like to Be Homeless in College, Vice
- What I Learned As A Homeless College Student, The Odyssey Online
- Homeless And In College. Then Harvey Struck, NPR
- College is so expensive, this 27-year-old rocket scientist created a homeless shelter for students, The Business Insider
- Nutritious U Food Pantry, Coffman Union
- SNAP for College Students
- Second Harvest Heartland 1140 Gervais Ave, St. Paul
- Second Harvest Heartland, various locations
- Housing and Residential Life works with students in need of short-term housing. The contact is Mannix Clark. He can be reached at 612.624.8488 or email@example.com. He oversees the Contracts and Assignments. There is a cost associated with living on campus but it might alleviate housing challenges for a semester at least. The cost would be billed to their student account.
- Off-Campus Living works with students to identify housing options that might be more affordable.
- Mental health/ housing: There are crisis residences where people can stay temporarily but the person also needs to be going through a mental health crisis
- St. Stephen’s Human Services
- Second Harvest Heartland
- Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota (Services for Homeless and At-Risk Youth)
- Avenues for Homeless Youth
Nationally based online resources to consider:
- National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)
- 6 Resources for Homeless College Students, ULoop
- College Guide for Homeless Students, Center for Online Education
- Help for Homeless College Students, CNN
- Students With Nowhere to Stay: Homelessness on College Campuses, Truthout