Students with Disabilities

Students with visible or invisible disabilities or mental health conditions

Tips for Advising

The University of Minnesota values diverse identities and experiences, and honors disability as an important aspect of human diversity. The Disability Resource Center (DRC) works in partnership with students, faculty, staff, and guests of the University to eliminate or minimize barriers and facilitate inclusion on campus.

The DRC collaborates with all members of the University community to improve access for people with disabilities in these ways:

  1. determining and implementing reasonable academic, workplace, and guest accommodations;
  2. providing education on access and inclusion;
  3. partnering with University offices to ensure meaningful physical and technological access

The University of Minnesota views disability as an important aspect of diversity and is committed to providing equitable access to learning opportunities for all students. The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is the campus office that collaborates with students who have disabilities to provide and/or arrange reasonable accommodations.

If a student has, or thinks they have, a disability in any area such as mental health, attention, learning, chronic health, sensory, or physical, please contact the DRC office (UM Twin Cities) 612.626.1333) to arrange a confidential discussion regarding equitable access and reasonable accommodations.

Short Term Disabilities

Students with short-term disabilities, such as a broken arm, can often work with instructors to minimize classroom barriers. In situations where additional assistance is needed, students should contact the DRC as noted above.

Register with the DRC

Students who are registered with the DRC and have a disability accommodation letter dated for this semester or this year should contact their instructor early in the semester to review how the accommodations will be applied in the course.

Students registered with the DRC and having questions or concerns about their accommodations should contact their (access consultant/disability specialist).